Now that I had recruited all of the New Hires that I could, I started distributing their questionnaires and collecting their ID numbers. I advised each participating teacher to pick a series of numbers or letters that they could remember from month to month, but that was not their ID badge number or their ATM pin code. After all, if money went missing from their bank account, I didn’t want the possibility of them holding that against me. Anniversaries, birthdays, and favorite numbers could be examples of ID numbers that people can remember over time.
I also had the New Hires keep a Log of who came into their classroom, how long they stayed, what they did while in the classroom to support the teacher, and their overall feelings about how that support went. Teachers were instructed that if someone came into their classroom but didn’t speak with them (i.e. just observed or only spoke with the other teacher in the classroom), then they were to not record that, as they were not provided with direct support/coaching/mentoring. The logs would be kept in the classrooms until members of the research team (i.e. my boss or myself) came to pick them up. This way teachers could constantly add to the list on who came into their classroom.
To ensure anonymity, I had given the teachers an envelope with my name written on it to be sealed with the questionnaire inside and to be inter-office mailed to me. Since the envelope would be sealed, no one passing by could read it. And if someone did decide to steal it, they would only know the responses that someone wrote, since only their ID number was on the form, and not their name.
Round one–handing out the questionnaires–over. Done and done!